Science applications (Apps) for iPod Touch offer students and teachers excellent tools to help students spend more time learning science content in class and laboratory situations.
Although many Science Apps are loaded with ads and other distracting information, I have found several that are free of ads.
iPod Touch Science Apps
LabTimer – this is a count-up and count-down multi-timer with the following features:
- Four timers, individually configurable as count-up or alarming count-down
- Large display and buttons
- Display in Hours : Minutes : Seconds (limit above 1000 hours)
- Customizable text labels for each timer
- Small icons describing the state of all timers
- Disables iPod sleep, keeping your timer running and visible
ExoPlanet – a database of extrasolar planets. It contains details of all detected exo-planets as well as their host stars.
Students can easily search through the database and view pictures of the host star, visualizations of the planet’s orbits.
Correlation diagrams of various planet properties can be created on the fly.
Worlds Apart – a model of the solar system. Hand tuned for performance and realism, it uses hardware accelerated 3D graphics to give you a higher detailed, smoother and more accurate view of our planetary neighborhood. Prepare for a very different view of the planets than from any ordinary hand held planetarium.
USGS Seismic – this application parses an RSS feed from the United States Geological Survey (USGS) that provides data on recent earthquakes around the world.
It displays the location, date, and magnitude of each earthquake, along with a color-coded graphic that indicates the severity of the earthquake.
NASA - this an official NASA App that invites to discover to discover a wealth of NASA information. The NASA App collects, customizes and delivers an extensive selection of dynamically updated information, images
iFormulas – is a clean, simple, easy to use mathematical formula application. Provides basics to survive your Algebra, Calculus, Geometry or Trigonometry to support science investigations. It does not give you answers but provides an easy navigational guide.
Science Glossary – this is an extensive glossary of scientific terms and short biographies of key scientists. All definitions link to related terms and detailed science learning modules.
LabCal – this Laboratory Calculator is an utility to calculate the molarity, to convert gram and mole and to compute dilutions of stock solutions.
Promega - this App provides lots of great information for life science, including quick access to molecular biology calculators, technical tips, protocols, and multimedia presentations.
The calculators provide a range of functions essential to molecular biology experiments, including DNA and protein conversions, melting temperature, molarity and dilution calculations.
Topics include basic amplification techniques to real-time PCR, from simple cell-based assays to complex imaging techniques, and from protein expression to more involved protein interactions assays. Multimedia elements can also be easily accessed via a separate menu.
- DNA, Protein, Tm, and Dilution Calculators
- Step-by-step protocols
- Illustrations and example data
- Extensive background information
- Animated movies demonstrating key techniques and cellular events
Mild EleMints – is an interactive Periodic Table. It offers a Periodic Table, a Plot Graph, Element listing, Electron Diagram, and a wealth of information on every element.
- The Periodic Table can be shaded according to a particular property, and zoomed to get more information at a time.
- The table will rotate itself for both Portrait and Landscape orientations.
- Mild EleMints only supports the following properties: Classification, Electronegativity, and Physical State.
All of these Science Apps are available free from iTunes.
Readers may aslo be interested in 10 Math Applications for the iPod Touch